Reservation/Relaxation in eligibility conditions, etc. for providing employment to Ex-Agniveers in Indian Coast Guard and all civilian posts/ services under the Ministry of Defence
Government of India
Ministry of Defence
Department of Defence
Dated 13th March, 2023
Subject: Reservation/Relaxation in eligibility conditions, etc. for providing employment to Ex-Agniveers in Indian Coast Guard and all civilian posts/ services under the Ministry of Defence – reg.
Consequent to announcement of the Agnipath Scheme for recruitment of youth into the Armed Forces, the Government of India has offered a slew of support measures to accommodate Ex-Agniveers in various Government Departments after completion of their four years of engagement with the Armed Forces. In furtherance to above and with the approval of Hon’ble Raksha Mantri, it has been decided to provide reservation / relaxation etc. to Ex-Agniveers in Direct Recruitment in Indian Coast Guard and all civilian posts / services under the Ministry of Defence, including Defence PSUs, Autonomous Bodies, Institutions etc., as under –
(i) Provision of ten percent (10%) horizontal reservation in all Group ‘A’, ‘B’, ‘C’ and lower level posts (wherever available) in Direct Recruitment in Indian Coast Guard and all civilian posts / services under the Ministry of Defence, including Defence PSUs, Autonomous Bodies, Institutions etc. [except Scientific and Technical Posts which are exempted from reservation as per extant instructions of the Government]. This ten percent (10%) reservation will be over and above the reservation applicable for Ex-servicemen.
(ii) Three (03) years’ age relaxation in the prescribed upper age limit (as provided in the relevant Recruitment Rules) for Ex-Agniveers in Direct Recruitment. Further, age relaxation of five (05) years beyond the prescribed upper age limit may be given to the candidates of the first batch of Agnipath Scheme.
(iii) Exemption from physical efficiency test, wherever applicable.
- To give effect to the above proposal, the matter has further been examined in consultation with various Organizations under the Ministry of Defence. It has been decided that there may not be any need to amend the existing Recruitment Rules where there are the provisions of the following “Saving Clause” –
“Nothing in these rules shall affect reservation, relaxation of age-limit and other concessions required to be provided for the Scheduled Castes, the Scheduled Tribes, the Other Backward Classes, the Ex-servicemen and other special categories of persons, in accordance with the orders issued by the Central Government from time lo time in this regard.”
- In case, there is no provision of “Saving Clause” in any of the Recruitment Rules, the concerned Organization shall immediately initiate the process for amendment/revision of those Recruitment Rules accordingly.
- All other instructions of Department of Personnel & Training (DOP&T) on horizontal reservation in all civilian posts / services shall apply mutatis mutandis in respect of horizontal reservation for the employment of Ex-Agniveers in all the above posts under the Ministry of Defence.
- The above scheme of reservation will be effective in respect of all direct recruitment vacancies to be notified on or after issue of this Office Memorandum.
- This issues with the concurrence of Department of Personnel & Training and in consultation with Union Public Service Commission and Ministry of Law & Justice.
Joint Secretary to the Government of India
Joint Secretary (Estt./Plg .Parl.)
Ministry of Defence
Get Free Email Updates