Process of verification of Caste certificate
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
Department of Personnel and Training
North Block, New Delhi
Dated 29 March, 2023
Subject:- Timely verification of Caste/Community Certificates – regarding.
I am directed to say that Government of India has been issuing instructions to all the States/UT Government for streamlining the process of verification of Caste certificate and ensuring its timely completion.
- In this regard, this Departments’ letter No.41034/4/2020-Estt.(Res-I), dated 19.03.2021, addressed to the Chief Secretaries of all States/UTs and letter No.41034/2/2022-Estt.(Res-I), dated 21.10.2022, addressed to the Secretaries (General Administrative Departments) of all States/UTs may be referred vide which attention of all the States/ UT Governments was invited towards some cases of withholding of pensionary benefits of the employees of the Central Government belonging to ST category due to pendency of their caste verification process at the end of concerned State Government. The concern and the serious view taken by the Parliamentary Committee on the Welfare of SC and ST in this regard was also communicated to the State/ UT Governments vide the aforesaid letters. Copies of the aforesaid two letters are attached.
- Now, the Parliamentary Committee on the Welfare of SC and ST, vide its recommendations in its 21st Report (17th Lok Sabha), has reiterated its earlier recommendations for timely completion of caste verification process.
- The State/UT Governments have been requested from time to time that they are required to ensure at their own level that veracity of the Caste/Community certificate referred to the district authorities is verified and reported to the appointing authority within one month of receipt of request from such authority. The State/UT Governments are also required to initiate disciplinary proceedings against the officers of the State who default in timely verification of Caste Status.
- In view of the above, all the State/ UT Governments are once again requested to ensure adherence to the aforesaid instructions and ensure that veracity of the Caste/Community certificate referred to the district authorities is verified and reported to the appointing authority within one month of receipt of request from such authority.
- This issues with the approval of Secretary (P).
(Sign of Authority)
DEPUTY SECRETARY (RESERVATION)